Friday, June 27, 2014

My hand at a Pocket tri-fold card

So I tried my hand at this pocket tri-fold card. I saw a picture of a finished one and had to kinda reconstruct it in my head but the mechanics were not hard. It did require some measuring and pre-planning. Usually I plan my layouts and fuss around with them before I glue anything down so it worked out fine. Ok so the card has a front panel and back panel joined by a fold in the middle. The inside front and back panel are pockets. The front panel will hold a gift card or good old cash. The back panel pocket holds a tag. Since this card was for one of my daughters, I chose for the card to contain a poem on being a daughter. So the tag can either stay in the card or is also designed to be a stand alone bonus gift that can be hung off a lamp or something.

Front of the card. Just a regular rectangle designed with layered mats, cut outs and punches. The flowers were made from scalloped cut circles that I cut into to make petals and then slightly curled each petal under to give them a little dimension.

Inside showing front panel with pocket and left side of middle fold. The middle section is one long piece. It is the left pocket, middle fold section and the right pocket. If you do not have a piece of paper long enough to spread across then I would join two sections smack in the middle of the hinge.

Inside showing back panel with tag pocket and right side of middle fold where sentiments were placed. The pockets are not sized the entire panel, smaller is more here. Also the middle fold section is about 60% across the panel. It is to be an additional embellishment but not main feature so don't make it to big.

This is the front and back of the tag in the back pocket.


The papers used are some I had designed and some from Cajoline Scraps that I recolored so everything matched. The cut outs were done with The Cricuit Expression on card stock. I used Tulip Glitter Diamonds on some of them to make it sparkle. A few beads and gems finish it off. I like to use nail gems on my cards because they are pretty flat and not so bulky plus they come in tiny sizes.

It took me several days from start to finish but I am happy with it. The most important tip I can give you if you try this card is to play around with layout before you glue anything down. Symmetry was key for me in my design but maybe you have a different idea. This is my first attempt at this card style and I like it. Obviously this one is very girly but any color combo and embellishments can change the feel of any card design. I will use this style of card again.

No comments:

Post a Comment